Implementing DevOps in your organization
Benefits of Implementing DevOps
Implementing the powerful DevOps strategy in your business will provide several benefits, such as improving the company's efficiency; your customers will be more satisfied; the processes of your company will be more agile; there will be a reduction of costs due to the organization of the work method.
What do you need to know before starting the implementation process
The time comes when it becomes important to show some points that will make a difference in a positive way. It is notorious that most people want to learn how to implement DevOps, but three points need to be mentioned. To make the process of understanding simpler, check out the following:
- There is no miracle - The ways to implement DevOps will show that there will not be any kinds of miracles. It is necessary to emphasize that all will have their importance for the change of the corporate culture.
- The team has a fundamental role - The team “wins or loses play”, therefore, it is necessary to work in this direction for a long time. The adaptation must be quick, but you must always be aware of it.
- Analyze team feedback - As shown earlier, the team is critical and you need to analyze team feedback. Try to make meetings and gradually realize the response of employees.
Last but not least, you need to understand these three questions, because adapting them will be much easier. When these points are respected, the team's response is likely to be positive. In addition, it is simpler to be able to make small adjustments when necessary.
After all, how to implement this powerful strategy in your company
The first step in implement DevOps in your enterprise is to list the goals you want to achieve and to have the ideal and effective tools to boost performance.
Some of the tools most used by companies that bet on DevOps are divided into five groups:
- Source code repository (Git, CloudForce, TFS, Subversion);
- Compilation server (SonarQube, Jenkins, Artifactory);
- Configuration Management (Puppet, Ansible Salt, Chef);
- Test Automation (Selenium, Water)
- Virtual infrastructure (Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and VMware vCloud).
There are some points that deserve attention during this process. Ideally your team should have a direct and simplified view of production, preparation, and testing. Each team should be able to independently monitor their performance.
Performance should be a basic and primary requirement of your products. Value it and make your team also notice and understand its importance. It is a feature that should accompany your product giving initial idea until finalization and delivery.
There's only one way to ensure your product's total performance: by always testing it. Create a continuous testing environment because the sooner you receive feedback, the easier it will be to correct errors and improve the quality of your product.
When we reinforce the idea of fixed and concrete goals, they must also be shared with their collaborators. The whole team needs to be aligned and at the same pace of production, so that together they achieve the expected result.
Concentrate and always aim to provide the best experience to your user and client. It is necessary that after the deployment of DevOps they realized an improvement in the quality of your product or service.
The entire production process of your product should be monitored, especially as regards performance. In a fully automated environment there are five categories that deserve more attention and observation. Are they:
- Development cycles: more technical details are verified in this stage, such as how many resources are being incorporated, how many errors were identified and how many were corrected;
- Deployment: when your product fails you need to know what you were responsible for, so monitoring the entire course is critical;
- Vulnerability: Knowing the vulnerabilities of your product allows you to think and define actions to solve them and deliver the best final product to the client;
- Server Health: There are several ways to do this monitoring and it will ensure that the infrastructure to receive your product is fully operational;
- Application performance: Product performance is up again. It is necessary to ensure that your production works as expected by you and especially by the customer.
Important Strategies for a Successful Deployment of DevOps
Create a champion team
The creation of a team is a step that will always have a lot of relevance, because they will be the “agents of change”. This is what is going to be a crucial point, that is, the care with these people and especially with the mentality.
A champion team can be created continuously, that is, it is a process that will encompass three main points. To make understanding simpler it is necessary to show and below you will be able to know everything about these points, see:
- Developers - The team of developers should be free to work and make the applications better and better. It is necessary to mention that the champion mind is inserted when the team work is emphasized.
- IT infrastructure - This is where you need to work similar to the developers, that is, freedom. This integration is often complicated, but it is possible for everyone.
- Management of both - It is precisely here that is a crucial point, that is, the management of both teams must be present in this. Remember that managers should be the example, that is, they need to be integrated.
This is one of the ways to implement DevOps, because the creation of a team with a champion mentality will allow the same goal. It is about making a change of mentality the best decision for all.
Before starting for the entire company, remember to do it slowly, that is, going as if you were a pilot. Gradually it is possible to increase, habituating the team that and making adaptation may be the simplest.
An efficient way is to allocate a project to DevOps and analyze how that particular result happens. Team feedback is critical because it allows you to make adjustments to make the process better.
To understand the ways to implement DevOps you must understand that the process should always be slow. It's no use changing everything at once, because depending on the degree of the team, the results can be pretty bad.
One of the ways of adapting the team is to get more and more employees involved in the pilot application. Gradually it is possible for professionals to start liking and living in this new way of making deliveries.
It is also appropriate to mention another question that usually causes some problems that can be dangerous. It is about integrating, that is, IT infrastructure teams and developers, both should always walk in the same direction.
One of the ways to implement DevOps is this and to ensure a better result it is appropriate not to let this chance pass. Deliveries will be faster, that is, they will allow you to be effective and agile at the same time.
Use various methodologies
There may be several types of methodologies within a given project. The team consists of people and not robots, you have to adapt situations so that people understand the process.
The design-to-project differences will always allow the field to exist to make some modifications that are necessary. Using multiple methodologies is one way to implement DevOps, because it understands the whole context.
What usually hinders the development team is the famous “cake recipe” tactic, that is, having only one way of working. Those who are aware of the various forms will be able to adapt to different situations.
Once again, it is invaluable for the developer and infrastructure teams to be integrated.
Define Performance Indicators
Everything that is not measured, automatically, can not be corrected nor improved, that is, it is limited. It is appropriate to think that performance indicators are needed to address three issues, see below:
- Team performance - The first question is related to this, so it is necessary to begin to analyze how the work is going. This part is fundamental because it allows you to see the evolution curve of the team.
- Team Feedback - Any and every type of team always needs to have a feedback job that is constant. It is necessary that the sectors have free access to understand the thought of each one.
- Correction of errors - There are common mistakes and correcting them is of paramount importance for quality delivery. The performance indicators will help in this and will leave your service much better.
Last but not least, remember that ways to implement DevOps give only one way. The result will depend on the teams and, above all, on the situation that is present, that is, do not disregard this fact.
These are not the only steps to implementing the powerful DevOps strategy in your enterprise. It is an arduous path that counts on the mobilization of all of your business, from the president to the person in charge of the delivery. To ensure success in your DevOps process it is ideal that you know the strategy very well and know exactly how to implement it.